I'm like most other Australian small business owners in that I love a good challenge, commit myself every day and will go the extra mile to achieve my goals. However, a line does need to be drawn somewhere and I'll admit I occasionally let myself slip into that dreaded habit of staying overtime at work.
This happens on a basis that is a bit too regular for my liking, and I know other business owners in the country are in the same boat as I am. I'm a strong believer, however, of the fact that a healthy work/life balance is an achievable reality for just about anyone.
But just how is it possible to leave the office by 5pm on the dot, I hear you cry? It's all about good time management - and here are my five top tips to be more productive and leave on time.
1. Have a to-do list (and stick to it!). Make it your first task at the start of every single work day to create a to-do list, outlining everything that needs to be done that day. Alternatively, you can do this the night before to save even more time. There are all sorts of fancy smartphone apps and tools to help you create an organised, consolidated list, so there really are no excuses.
2. Set a goal at the start. Make it a daily goal to leave the office by 5pm - by creating this tangible commitment and setting your mind to it from the start of the day, you'll be more focused on achieving this objective and leaving on time.
3. Don't multitask. Contrary to popular belief, multitasking isn't a positive skill to have in the workplace! You'll only get distracted, feel overburdened and lose even more time. Stick to doing one thing at a time.
4. Know when to say no. It can be difficult to turn down someone's request but if you firmly believe it can wait till later, and will only unnecessarily hold you back, don't be afraid to say no.
5. Avoid late meetings. Everyone knows even the best-planned meetings can stretch well over time, so if you really want to leave on time to enjoy that hot dinner at home, don't schedule any meetings after 4pm.
Wishing you all the best for your week in business.
If you'd like to learn how Earlypay's Invoice Finance & Equipment Finance can help you boost your working capital to fund growth or keep on top of day-to-day operations of your business, contact Earlypay's helpful team today on 1300 760 205, visit our sign-up form or contact [email protected].